Does anyone know what the process is for getting a driving license in China if you already have a license from another country?

I've got a full UK license. I heard that the process is to go to the traffic police and do a theory test which is conducted on a computer.

How long does the process take?

Views: 299

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's great news! Just what I wanted to hear. Thank you so much. :)

Don't worry, maybe i can ask my friend who is working with the Traffic Police Quard. Generally, you will take the foreigner route. It is recommended, however, that you should ask the traffic authority in Xi'an. If you are considered a Chinese, you mustcomplete all subjects, which I have told you before.
Noting that the IDP (International Driving Permit) is not recognized by traffic authorities in China.
Do you use QQ or Wechat? If yes, contact me at 374094174. Thank you!

Thanks Robert. I don't have QQ or Wechat. Hope I can take so called 'foreigner' route. Will get in touch with traffic authority when I arrive in Xi'an.

Notarized stamp means they have accepted and recognized your driving license translation.

Thank you so much for your input and advice! Seems like an easy process, no mafan. Almost too good to be true :) I will be sure to finally get my license this year when I visit family. 

I did it last year. You need to do medical test, 50 yuan, certificate with residence from police office and do the test in english .... first of all start with training test in internet - i did it with iPhone application driveinchina when you will be ready start with documents.....  the medical test i did also in the central local hospital during 30 minutes

i know the sertificied translator at the center of Xian with translated my driving license in chinese...

it's very easy and cheap, just little bit of patience )) the only traffic police office for the expat is in high tech zone, there at the entrance you can receive also list of the documents...)))

Before you go public security bureau of vehicle, you need to authenticate your 'home country license card' & ' passport' by licensed translator. Call: 029-8866-4696. 



Crowne Plaza Xi'an

Teaching English In Xi'an


  • Add Videos
  • View All

© 2019   Created by   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service