ok ...in australia it is hard to find any chinese or asian movies unless they are big budget movies like "once apon a time in china" i have just recently seen the movie "Natural City" it is a korean movie and probably the best asian movie i have seen so far....
we only have one channel on our tv (5 chanells all up on free tv) that will show movies that are not american it is called "sbs" and it shows european,asian,middle eastern or bolly wood movies but they do not play many asian movies so it is quite frustrating .....
i know what manga is and i am wondering if there is any other sort of cartoon or animie in other asian countries .. i like sci-fi,comedy,some horror and action movies...some romantic ones are good if they have humour
.so what are your favourite chinese movies or asian movies who are your favourite actors or actress's ..give me some ideas so i can try to check them out pls
Most of my favorite Asian actors and movies are from Hong Kong. For example:
1. Tony Leung Chiu Wai
2. Andy Lau Tak Wah
3. Stephen Chow Sing Chi
4. Lau Ching Wan
5. Maggie Cheung Man Yuk
6. Sammi Cheng
7. Carina Lau
Some of my favorite Asian movies:
1. Infernal Affairs (Andy Lau and Tony Leung). They remade the movie "The Departed" from this one. It was a really hip thriller and all around fun movie to watch.
2. Running Out of Time, Exiled, The Mission, and most of Johnny To's movies. Johny To, I think, is the best director that came out of Hong Kong in the past decades.
3. Kungfu Hustle, Flirting Scholar, and most of Stephen Chow movies
4. "Let the Bullets Fly" and "Cow" were two awesome mainland China movies I saw this year
5. I also really liked the movie "Together" about a young violin prodigy for some reason, even though it was kind of corny.
6. The best Hong Kong romantic comedies would be "Needing You" with Andy Lau and Sammi Cheng, "Comrades, Almost a Love Story" with Leon Lai and Maggie Cheung, and "C'est Le Vie Mon Cheri" with Lau Ching Wan and Anita Yuen.
7. Wong Kar Wai's "Chungking Express" and "In the Mood for Love" are classics that are on a lot of people's best movies of all time lists.
8. Oh, and I recently rewatched Ang Lee's old classic "Eat, Drink, Man, Woman" and was blown away again on how real and genuine and touching it was.
Man I can go on and on about movies, Asian or otherwise :). But Terry ... do you have access to YouTube? Sometimes users put whole movies on there. I also have Netflix Streaming as well and have been able to watch a few good Asian movies from there as well. But most other movies I have to buy from sites like YesAsia. But in Xi'an I've been watching a lot of pirated movies through bit torrent because it's so hard to find legit DvDs here.
I also agree with the movies on this list of best Hong Kong movies of the 90s, check it out if you want to find some great Hong Kong classics.
iwatch a movie one time about nan jing in world war 2what happen there it was a very graphic movie and it was chinese to ..but i can not remember the name of the movie or what the actors where named ...that is the only chinese movie i have seen that is not from hong kong
Netflix Streaming is a utube place?
i download all my movies from the net i do not buy movies hahaha
In no particular order
The Warlords (Jet Li as a quasi-bad guy, historical epic film)
A World Without Thieves (Cool looking film on a train)
Not One Less (Zhang Yi Mou film about a poor village, One of the few movies I've shed some tears to)
Hero (Quite decent, best scene with a spear, a sword, and a guzheng I've seen in a movie)
Hard Boiled (Chow Yun Fat and John Wu action epic, this is the gold standard for action movies)
Little Big Soldier (After years of garbage, Jackie Chan makes a funny movie......finally)
Police Story (Jacky Chan's best film)
Unfortunately, it's been 5-6 years since China has made a good movie. Also, "God of Gamblers" is always fun to watch from time to time.
Good looking out man, I guess my weekend will be consumed by watching some nice new chinese films.